The Study Guide
How To Get the Most Out of the Community Group Study
ENGAGE THE SCRIPTURE:
During each week, read and think about the weekly scripture (below). Consider reading the entire Book of Nehemiah over the course of the message series.
Read the questions (below) before each meeting to get you ready for discussion. Bring any notes you take during the weekend message to your Community Group meeting.
MAKE IT A SPIRITUAL ADVENTURE:
Listen for God’s voice during the Weekend Service, your Community Group time, during your devotional time and throughout each day. What’s NEXT for you? Is God calling you to a BHAG?
Nehemiah: A Quick Look (from the NIV Study Bible; Zondervan, 2011)
Author: Unknown; possibly Ezra using Nehemiah’s written memoirs
Audience: The people of Judah who had returned from exile in Babylonia
Date: Sometime after 430 BC
Theme: Nehemiah travels from Susa in Elam to Jerusalem in Judah to lead the Jews in rebuilding the city walls.
WEEK #1: How To Capture a BHAG (NEHEMIAH 1:1-2:10)
- Describe a time in your life when you faced a need greater than your available resources.
- What part of Nehemiah’s story in these verses jumped out at you (and why)?
- Share something significant that you are currently building.
“Those who survived the exile and are back in the province are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem is broken down, and its gates have been burned with fire.” - Nehemiah 1:5
WEEK #2: How To Rally the Troops (NEHEMIAH 2:11-3:32)
- Describe a time when you felt your participation in a team effort was needed for the team’s success?
- In your own words, how would you describe the need driving Christ Community Church’s NEXT campaign?
- In what ways are individual goals more challenging than team goals?
- In what ways are team goals more challenging than individual goals?
“The God of heaven will give us success. We his servants will start rebuilding, but as for you, you have no share in Jerusalem or any claim or historic right to it.” - Nehemiah 2:20
WEEK #3: How to Overcome Opposition (NEHEMIAH 4-6)
- What is the biggest obstacle you are currently facing?
- What is the biggest distraction you are currently facing?
- Where have you recently observed generosity that really cost someone?
- Where might you need to “keep calm and carry on”?
“So we rebuilt the wall till all of it reached half its height, for the people worked with all their heart.” - Nehemiah 4:6
WEEK #4: How to Keep a Good Thing Going (NEHEMIAH 8-12)
- Describe a time when you started something “big”, but it fizzled.
- What is an important success factor for your own current BHAG (if you have one)?
- What NEXT step of faith (if any) do you feel God calling you to take?
“At the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem, the Levites were sought out from where they lived and were brought to Jerusalem to celebrate joyfully the dedication with songs of thanksgiving and with the music of cymbals, harps and lyres.” - Nehemiah 12:27